in

Yemen’s warring parties agree to extend truce for two months, UN says


The country of Yemen has been at the center of constant conflict since 2014. Iran-backed Houthi rebels took control of the capital, Sanaa, prompting a response from Saudi-backed military forces. However, in the recent past, there was a temporary truce between the two sides and both decided to renew it for another two months, according to the United States. Hans Grundberg – the UN special envoy to Yemen – confirmed that the truce had been extended on the same terms the United Nations had set out at the very beginning.

Read also | Russia controls ‘about 20%’ of Ukraine, President Zelensky says

“I would like to announce that the parties to the conflict have accepted the UN proposal to renew the current truce in Yemen for another two months,” Grundberg said.

“The extension of the truce comes into effect when the current truce period expires, today June 2, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. Yemen time (16:00 GMT),” it added in the official statement according to the AFP.

Read also | Indian officer idolizes al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden as ‘the best junior engineer in the world’ and is suspended

The initial truce was signed in April this year to reduce the conflict that has resulted in what the UN has called “the world’s worst humanitarian crisis”. Several authorities have urged both sides to extend the truce and it was signed by both sides just hours before it expired.

“We hope that this extension of the truce will allow further progress in the reopening of roads connecting cities and regions, allow more displaced people to return to their homes and ensure that humanitarian aid can reach people who have been out. range due to the fighting,” Norwegian Refugee Council Country Director for Yemen Erin Hutchinson said in an official statement.

.
#Yemens #warring #parties #agree #extend #truce #months

Post expires at 2:01pm on Sunday June 12th, 2022