in

Hong Kong police issue warning over Tiananmen Square anniversary rallies


The Tiananmen Square crackdown is a sensitive topic for the Chinese government. The 1989 incident, which saw China send in troops and tanks against peaceful protesters, is not discussed in China, and authorities have ensured that the crackdown even extends to the internet. On the other hand, Hong Kong organizes an annual vigil on June 4 at Victoria Park to mark the occasion but this time, it seems that the tradition is broken. Hong Kong police said people would not be allowed to gather on the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square event on Saturday.

While previous administrations had no problem with the annual vigil, authorities have banned gatherings for the past two years with the pandemic as the reason.

Read also | Towards turmoil? Pak massively increases the prices of petroleum products and electricity

However, this year the orders are more direct. Police have made it clear that any gathering will be treated as a violation of the law and action will be taken against everyone involved.

“When there are other people out there, and you share a common goal to voice calls, that’s enough to make you a member of an unlawful assembly,” Chief Superintendent Liauw Ka said. -kei according to an AFP report.

Read also | Annual inflation in Turkey hits highest level in 24 years at 73%

“If this person makes us feel that his purpose of appearing is to incite others, we will of course look for evidence,” he added.

The decision was taken under the strict security laws that were implemented in 2020 and since then a number of activists and journalists have been jailed by Hong Kong authorities.

.
#Hong #Kong #police #issue #warning #Tiananmen #Square #anniversary #rallies

Post expires at 1:37pm on Monday June 13th, 2022