The Elon Musk-Twitter saga has taken another interesting twist. Tesla chief executive Musk accused the social media giant of withholding data and even threatened to withdraw its $44 billion takeover bid.
Musk alleged that Twitter was flouting its obligations to provide required data on fake accounts.
According to a document filed with the securities regulator, Musk said the social media company had committed “a manifest material breach” of “its obligations under the merger agreement” due to which the Tesla CEO reserves the right “not to complete the transaction and its right to terminate the merger agreement”.
Read also | WION explains | The Elon Musk-Twitter saga; from the hostile offer to the actual takeover
Last month, on May 13, the billionaire tweeted that the takeover deal was temporarily on hold.
“The Twitter agreement is temporarily suspended pending details supporting the calculation that spam/fake accounts actually represent less than 5% of users.”
Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5% of usershttps://t.co/Y2t0QMuuyn
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 13, 2022
Watch | Twitter shareholders are suing Tesla CEO Elon Musk for violating corporate laws
In May, Twitter predicted that in the first quarter, fake accounts or spam accounted for less than 5% of its monetizable daily active users.
Read also | Twitter deal temporarily suspended, says Elon Musk
However, in a response to a Twitter user, Musk said the number of fake users should be 20%, but could be significantly higher. He further stated that the deal will not proceed until the CEO of Twitter provides justification for the less than 5% request.
20% fake/spam accounts, while 4 times what Twitter claims, could be *much* higher.
My offer was based on the accuracy of Twitter’s SEC filings.
Yesterday, the CEO of Twitter publicly refused to show <5% proof.
This deal can’t move forward until it does.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 17, 2022
According to software company SparkToro, 19.42% of Twitter accounts are fake or spam, but the company acknowledges that its process for identifying bots is likely different from Twitter’s and that this could impact figures.
This latest twist in his $44 billion bid to buy the vital rig fueled rumors that the world’s richest man was trying to lower the price or possibly walk away from the deal.
Watch WION LIVE HERE:
You can now write for sion5ews.com and be part of the community. Share your stories and opinions with us here.
#Elon #Musk #threatens #withdraw #takeover #bid #Twitter
Post expires at 2:44pm on Thursday June 16th, 2022